NSI Multilingual Domain Names

rob at accessweb.com rob at accessweb.com
Thu Feb 1 23:57:11 UTC 2001

Thanks for the info Mark. I "very quickly" took a look at some of
the details at the URL and also at IETF.

Seems to me that this project could translate into a monsterous
disaster. Also, it could be a God send for spammers who like
to got to great efforts to modify headers. LOL

Some areas of impact I could forsee would be:

-global update of all DNS servers
-compliance with Mail Exchangers requiring global update
-new potential "holes" for security breeches for just about any
computer application or service from DNS and MX to web browsers
-overal increased system requirements for all types of servers (ie: DNS, MX,
Firewalls, etc) to accomodate character set translations
-global upgrade/replacement of router, switch and other hardware
to accomodate DNS resolver funtionality
-issues related to ssl encryption certificates (Perhaps that's why
NSI/Verisign is working on a $olution)
-numerous client side problems with such things a web browsers where
the user has not installed multilingual support
-significant administrative labor and cost increases to service
providers to both impliment software and hardware changes as well
as provide customer support to customers experiencing difficulties
with web browser/email client setup and/or accessing Internet sites
and/or sending/receiving email
-compatibility issues related to web servers. In simplified form
it appears that multilingual domain name would be translated to
an IP address without consideration for subdirectory and or file
names. Problems with host header web server redirection for
virtual domains served under on IP address would also be a likely
issue
-Additional taxing of IP address pool resources if virtual domains
cannot be setup via Host Header
-Licensing and patent royalties payable to patent holders increasing
overal operating costs for service providers
-Problems with anti-spam resources such as RBL

Overal, this issue appears to be perhaps the most massive undertaking
ever proposed related to the Internet. While I sympatize with
the attraction for multilingual support, I certainly cannot support
what would appear to be a project that could have disasterous
effects on the global Internet and what I believe could result in a
combined financial impact that could be in the billions of dollars.

At 04:28 PM 01/02/01 -0500, you wrote:

>There is a plug-in available for download that translates the native
>language into an ACE string.
>http://nsiregistry.net/multilingual/multilingual.html
>The ACE string is ascii only and valid for DNS.
>
>Mark

Robert M.V. Beghin,
General Manager &
Network Administrator