NSI Multilingual Domain Names

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Thu Feb 1 23:28:02 UTC 2001

	Hello Joseph ,

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 12:40:33PM -0700, rob at accessweb.com wrote:
> > It recently came to my attention that Network Solutions
> > is selling domain names with Chinese and Korean characters.
> > What I am wondering is how this can work on a global
> > scale when those characters are not valid for use with DNS?
> Could this have anything to do with the multilingual code from JPNIC in
> the "contrib" directory?
	Also remember he said -global- .  Based on that what good is the
	doing there ?  Without the -rest- of the DNS servers able to
	accept these chars no one else has access .  Now if the inclusion
	of this code is for alpha/beta testing of the inclusion of these
	chars in order to determine the feasability of the codes general
	inclusion then I feel that contrib is a valid placement for such
	code .  I am aware of several drafts having been presented on this
	very subject .  Afaik none of them have even gotten placed onto
	the standards track .  Twyl , JimL