Advice on setting up a dns server

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Sun Dec 30 22:59:39 UTC 2001

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 09:21:18PM -0800, Danie I. wrote:
> If you could please help me advicing the requirements for setting up
> a dns server at my own for my domain.
>
> What software, hardware
> os, installation, bandwidth, etc needed?
> also how much disk space required for this installation.
>
> Thanks in advance
> danie

BIND will work with virtually any current UNIX, Linux, or *BSD system
on virtually any computer hardware in existence, and also (but less
well IMHO) on some MS Windows server configurations on both Intel and
Alpha hardware.  I have no doubt that it will also compile and run on
other operating systems.  Installation is easy - follow the cookbook
rules.

Disk space required is not great - I have ca 30 Mb for one source
directory and 15 Mb for the binary installation.  Nowadays that does
not seem much.

The rest is very much dependent on how you will use it.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B