Funky lookup problem

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Dec 19 15:15:08 UTC 2001

In article <9vok5j$bp7 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Ryn <matty91 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Any idea what would cause the following [1]. I am trying to lookup a host on
>the Internet from a locally managed nameserver. I have scoured the archives
>in an attempt to solve this myself.

When a caching server returns a SERVFAIL error code, it generally means
that it didn't get a proper response from any of the authoritative
nameservers for the domain.

Since the culprit isn't really so innocent, I don't know why you felt the
need to protect them.  But without knowing the domain, we can't be more
precise.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA