National/International link

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Dec 17 18:25:36 UTC 2001

In article <9vla83$n3m at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Cecilia Cabrera  <ccabrera at ccc.uba.ar> wrote:
>> Other than that, I don't see a good solution.  The problem is that the TTL
>> of the .ar NS records are only 1 hour.
>
>Not really, it's set to a day (1 hr is the retry time). This leads me the
>following: why isn't my NS caching it for 1 day? I'm thinking maybe it's
>the size of the cache. Is this configurable?

The delegation records from the root servers have 2-day TTLs, but the NS
records on the authoritative servers have 1-hour TTLs.  Here's what I get
from the primary server:

% dig ar ns @athea.ar

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> ar ns @athea.ar
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 9, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 10
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	ar, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ar.			1H IN NS	ns.ripe.net.