Problem with DNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Dec 14 19:46:03 UTC 2001

"Christos Petrides" <christos at glprodata.com> wrote:

>I am a beginner in exploring linux system and recently we installed a linux
> REDHAT 7.1 server in our company to act as :
>
> 1. Mail server
> 2. Proxy Server
> 3. DNS Server
>
> The services 1 & 2 so far are working ok but
> DNS although is working ok i face some problems with windows 2000 servers.
> At Windows 2000 event viewer there is an error event saying that cannot
> dynamically update dns records.
>
> 1. How can we solve this problem?
> 2. What is the section serial in bindconf?

By default, dynamic DNS updates to zone on a BIND DNS server is not
allowed.  If you want to allow dynamic updates to a zone, then you
need to change the named.conf file to allos dynamic updates for that
zone.  Note the following caveats:

     1) Dynamic DNS updates from a W2k box to a BIND box are not
        secure.

     2) Once a zone on a BIND box is dynamic, you can no longer edit
        the zone file manually.  All updates must be via the nsupdate
        utility.

For more information on DDNS and BIND, search the list archives.  There
have been many postings on this subject in the past two years.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov