RD Flag being set during a DIG, with the +norec option

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Dec 14 16:29:48 UTC 2001

In article <9vd0c4$h8k at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
England, Robert (Robert) <england at northamerica.exchange.agere.com> wrote:
>Can BIND be compiled with the rd flag set all the time?  The particular
>query stated no recursive query but the results say differently.

It says that the *response* has the RD flag set.  It doesn't say that the
query had that flag set, although that's the implication.  The server is
supposed to just copy it from the query, but I think I've encountered
servers with a bug where they always set it in the response.  The flag
doesn't have any meaning in a response, so this bug should have no effect
other than confusing users of dig.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA