Why does BIND create a new pid file on conf. reload?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Dec 7 19:20:43 UTC 2001

In article <9ur4h8$bf6 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jari Takkala  <jari at infid.net> wrote:
>I understand that the location of the pid file can be changed in named.conf,
>however my question was, why does named try to update the pid file if its PID
>does not change?

If the filename changed, it needs to write its PID to the file, even
though the PID hasn't changed.

Rather than check whether the filename changed, it simply writes its PID to
the file all the time.  That allows the reload and startup code to share
the same function for writing to the pid file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA