Location of files is different between 9.1 and 9.2

George Young gyoung at gldata.com
Fri Dec 7 04:34:23 UTC 2001

There is something different with the way 9.2.0 is handling the location of
the files. When I installed it on  RH7.2 on top of 9.1.3 system, the
/configure routines put the files in different places then the 9.1.3
/configure routines. I had to specify more  /configure options to get the
files into the same directories as the previous installs.

For example the 9.1 install used
 ./configure --prefix=/usr

The 9.2.0 needed
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

I would think that each release of bind would have the files defaulting into
the same directories as the previous releases.

Is there a consensus of opinion on where these files should be anyway on a
Linux system?

George Young / G-L Data, Inc / Morristown, NJ