Just One unknown host?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 00:03:31 UTC 2001

Randy Hislop wrote:

> People in our domain are sending and receiving mail to/from hither and yon
> all the time with no problem,,,, except for one or two places, on of which
> is.. bficanada.com. I can send mail there if I dial up to an ISP and send
> it from there, but if I try from here, no go.... unkknown host. They can't
> send mail to me either.

Hmm a few things look odd.

First the eba-eng.com server f02s02 isn't authoritative, I'd
check the log files on edm.eba.ca first to see what it says when

The DNS server delegated this domain is edm.eba.ca, but in the
NS records you use "edm.eba-eng.com", I suggest if this is the
same server you consistently use the name edm.eba.ca through out
all your files, at least till things are straight.

Whilst bficanada.com have an IP address of one name server
supplied by the root servers (Glue for something!) I think their
setup looks normal.

All three domains tac.net, eda-eng.com, and bficanada.com are
apparently using the "negative cache TTL" from the SOA to
specify the default TTL for records. Yuk.

Your negative time to live is probably 12 hours, so the changes
you made yesterday may not have taken effect. I suggest you look
up "$TTL" and "SOA" records in the BIND documentation.

Having got those minor issues out the way, try doing the look up
manually from the mail server.... Using dig to emulate the
normal DNS queries, both using the local DNS, and directing the
queries directly to the relevent DNS.

The server edm.eba.ca allow anyone to perform zone transfers,
does everyone really need to know the IP address of Herman's
printer? This information might be useful to would be attackers.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768