***### DNS sub domain creation###***

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 27 20:48:13 UTC 2001

admjcd wrote:

> I am running BIND 8.2.3 on a Tru64 UNIX machine.
> I think I am clear on part 1.
> For part 2, do I think I need to edit "/etc/named.conf" and add a zone entry for "ns1.blah.com" ?
> Probably something like:
>
> zone "ns1.blah.com" {
>         type master;
>         file "ns1.blah.com";
>         check-names warn;
> };

That's the basic format, however, you would use the name of the subdomain, e.g. "sub.blah.com". Presumably, "ns1.blah.com" is the name of a
nameserver, not the name of the subdomain itself. You don't need to make "ns1.blah.com" a separate zone if you don't want to, but it has to resolve
*somehow*. If it doesn't already exist there, then normally this would entail adding a "ns1" entry to the "blah.com" zone.

The "file" parameter can be any legal pathname you want it to be, of course...

> Also, I am not sure what you mean by part 3.
> How exactly do you "populate the zone"?
> Where specifically do I add the SOA records, NS records, etc...

The resource records go into the zonefile you specified in the "file" parameter of the zone { } definition. Where else did you think they might go?

                                                                                                                                        - Kevin