***### DNS sub domain creation###***

admjcd admjcd at VOLPE.DOT.GOV
Thu Aug 23 15:57:42 UTC 2001

I am running BIND 8.2.3 on a Tru64 UNIX machine.
I think I am clear on part 1.
For part 2, do I think I need to edit "/etc/named.conf" and add a zone entry for "ns1.blah.com" ?
Probably something like:

zone "ns1.blah.com" {
        type master;
        file "ns1.blah.com";
        check-names warn;
};

Is that correct?

Also, I am not sure what you mean by part 3.
How exactly do you "populate the zone"?
Where specifically do I add the SOA records, NS records, etc...

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Larson [mailto:wllarso at swcp.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 10:23 AM
To: admjcd
Subject: Re: ***### DNS sub domain creation###***

There are two parts to this answer.  You need to delegate the sub-domain and then you need to create create and populate the zone.

To delegate "sub.domain.com", in the "domain.com" zone file you need to add:

    sub    IN    NS    ns1.blah.com.

Note that this will occur on the master server for the "domain.com" domain.  Also note that "ns1.blah.com" ends with a period.  This final period
is needed to insure that the "ns1.blah.com" doesn't get fully qualified as "ns1.blah.com.domain.com".

Then on ns1.blah.com, you need to add the "sub.domain.com" zone to your configuration.  Exactly how this is done depends upon if you are running
BIND-4, BIND-8/9, or Win-NT/2K DNS, so check this out in your manuals.

Finally, to populate the "sub.domain.com" zone, you will have all of the standard resource records for any DNS zone.  At the minimum, you will need
an SOA record and one (or more) NS records.  From there you can add "A", "MX", etc. to your hearts desire.

Bill Larson