will Bind (OpenVMS) will permit 2 sites on 1 IP address (& how?)

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Aug 27 16:06:54 UTC 2001

At 11:17 AM 8/27/01, John C. Ring, Jr. wrote:
>In article <9mbbii$1kg at pub3.rc.vix.com>, MaryHelen_Fagan at mail.uttyl.edu wrote:
> >I found our DNS server is completely separate, running on an
> >OpenVMS platform using Digital's implementation of BIND.
>
>Just FYI, but once you've gotten straight what you want, the comp.os.vms group
>will definately have folks familiar with UCX (Digital's TCP/IP stack) who can
>say if it can be done or not with UCX.  (For myself, I find it very difficult
>to believe UCX cannot handle multiple zones.  I know Multinet on VMS handles
>them, but I've not used UCX.)

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  The IP stack has nothing to do with
the question.  BIND is running on OpenVMS and will respond to all queries that
it is authorative for, irrespective of zone.  UCX and Multinet has nothing to do with
zone data.  In fact, you could just as easily have BIND set up to use DECnet for
responding to queries. If you are really suggesting that UCX cannot handle more
than one IP address, that's irrelevant since she's running her Web server on an NT
box.

         Danny