DNS AD & Internet

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Aug 22 01:05:16 UTC 2001

    Js> How to configure clients and/or servers to use Windows 2000
    Js> DNS for local requests and Unix DNS for external request ( I
    Js> don't want publish my local resources to the Internet).

You can't. You will need to arrange all your DNS clients to query
local name servers that know about both your internal and external
domain names. There is no client configuration -- resolv.conf in UNIX;
registry voodoo in NT -- to say "if the name being looked up is foo,
send it to this set of name servers, but if the name is bar send the
request to some other set of name servers".

Your best bet is to configure the UNIX name servers to slave the AD
zones on your NT boxes. That way the UNIX servers know everything.
Then all you do is get all the local clients to send their queries to
those UNIX servers. You could do this the other way round and have the
NT name servers know everything and have them get all the internal
queries. However depending on the M$ name server for everything will
be a high-risk strategy.