DNS AD & Internet

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 00:48:49 UTC 2001

Js Op de Beeck wrote:

> Sorry for my engish I'm French

Your English is great apart from the spelling of English *8-)

> I had created DNS  (mydomain.CORP) to use in Windows 2000 Directory (for
> internal request and resources)
> My entreprise has Unix Primary DNS for outgoing request (mydomain.COM)
> provided by ISP.
>
> How to configure clients and/or servers to use Windows 2000 DNS for local
> requests and Unix DNS for external request ( I don't want publish my local
> resources to the Internet).

Don't configure clients, the DNS servers do this. Just point the
clients at a couple of Windows 2000 DNS servers (If you must use
AD for DNS).

Assuming your ".com" domain is delegated from the root servers
correctly the W2K machine will look this data up in the normal
way. You could act as a private secondary of the UNIX servers
domains if your concern is performance or reliability (Not going
to the Internet to look up data held locally).

Just because a box queries the Internet for other DNS data,
doesn't mean it need answer queries from the Internet. Firewall
carefully, firewall well.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768