SNMP

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Aug 16 21:05:26 UTC 2001

Karri Puumanen wrote:

> Is it realy true that BIND does not support SNMP? If so, I find it very
> disapointing since SNMP is very widly used.

Is DNS an integral part of network infrastructure, like routing software,
etc., or is it just a useful network-oriented application, like a telnet
or FTP daemon? DNS has always occupied this kind of gray area between the
two. Perhaps this explains why there hasn't been much of a consensus on
whether DNS should be monitored via SNMP at all, and, if monitored, what
aspects would form part of the MIB.

Of course, you can write anything you want with extensible SNMP agents.
Knock yourself out...

- Kevin