dynamic update failed:

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Aug 16 17:05:00 UTC 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 11:33:41AM -0500, Jeff Preuss wrote:

> Hello,
>     I have resently upgraded my DNS from BIND 8 to BIND 9. One problem I
> have found is in my message log I get this error.
>
> dynamic update failed: 'RRset exists (value dependent)' prerequisite not
> satisfied (NXRRSET)
>
> And I am not sure where it is coming from. Does any one know what
> prerequisite are needed?? ...

Just off the top of my head, it looks like it's saying that the
	"RRset exists (value dependent)"
prerequisite is not satisfied, and that the system out there trying to
dynamically update your DNS is trying to update a record that does not
exist yet.

If you have any new MSW-2K or later systems on your network, you might
want to look up the section on how to deal with them in "DNS and BIND",
4th edition [not any previous edition!].  If you don't want some user's
workstation randomly updating your DNS, you might want to explicitly
block this or get it turned off at the source.  For right now, of
course, the above message indicates that the update attempt is failing.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B