Cant park domains on my new DNS servers

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Aug 15 15:02:26 UTC 2001

In article <9le1jl$q5u at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Steve <dodger_21 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Ive setup 2 DNS servers we will call them ns1.mydomain.com and
>ns2.mydomain.com.

You can't name them that, as they're already taken.  From "whois
ns1.mydomain.com":

[No name] (NS31254-HST)

   Hostname: NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM
   Address: 216.34.13.236
   System: ? running ?

   Coordinator:
      mydomain.com support  (MS311-ORG)  support at MYDOMAIN.COM
      Global Internet Names Inc.
      588 - 12 Church St.
      Hamilton
      BM
[No phone]

   Record last updated on 23-Apr-2001.

>		   These name servers work cause i can use dig and nslookup
>fine on them but no one can park a domain on them regardless of which
>registrar it is. Is there anything special that has to be done for my name
>servers to be acknowledged as valid name servers? The most common error when
>switching DNS to my server from the registrar is "ns1.mydomain.com is not a
>registered name server"
>The zones for the domain have already been setup on the server. Any ideas?
>Thanks!

Before you can list a server in a domain registration, you have to submit a
host registration for the server itself.  Just like the error message says.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA