interesting scenario question

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Aug 14 00:07:49 UTC 2001

In article <9l9ngi$1ub at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Omo Oloun <olabisid at my-deja.com> wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I need some advise on how to tackle a situation I have on hand.
>
>Present scenario:
>2 office locations, with 1 Pri dns server (bind 4.9.3) and a Slave dns
>server (bind 4.9.3). I have an entry for an enterprise system GATEWAY
>located in one location. Both locations use the gateway to access
>another network.
>
>New scenario:
>A new gateway is to be installed in my 2nd location. So that each
>location has its gateway.
>
>Problem:
>How can I implement a dns entry so that using the same GATEWAY name,
>users in the second location use the new gateway. (pls remember the
>2nd name server is a slave and I don't want to change that).
>
>I've come across the idea of load balancing/redistribution using an
>entry like
>foo.bar.baz   60 IN A 192.168.1.1
>foo.bar.baz   60 IN A 192.168.1.2
>but this doesn't help, as I want each site to use the same name
>(GATEWAY), but to access different servers everytime.
>
>Would appreciate comments/suggestions.

Configure the 2nd nameserver as primary for the domain
GATEWAY.company.com.  Its named.boot file would look like:

secondary company.com <primary server address> db.company.com
primary gateway.company.com db.gateway.company.com

db.gateway.company.com would contain:

@ IN SOA 2ndserver.company.com. hostmaster.company.com. (
         ... )
  IN NS  2ndserver.company.com.
  IN A   <address of 2nd location gateway>

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA