Forwarders being ignored

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 21:38:16 UTC 2001

Robert Lamothe wrote:

>         Recently I've been seeing some odd traffic from my DNS servers.
> We are running a split/split DNS system and my internal DNS server consider
> themselves to be root and authoritative for my domain.  I've setup forwarders
> to some external DNS servers I have with:

If your servers consider themselves to be root servers they will
never query others servers using forwarders directive, as root
servers by definition know everything, and never need to ask
anyone else for help.

They might look up data for you in delegated zones, but that
isn't what your doing as far as I can tell....

>         Occasionaly I see my internal DNS servers sending queries directly
> to nameservers rather than through the forwarders.  I've looked over my
> configuration and everything looks kosher, I can't even begin to understand
> how my internal servers are getting the information to even send the query.

The forward option can specify forward only or forward first.
Forward first is the default, I suspect you want "forward only".

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768