Forwarders being ignored

Robert Lamothe rll at mc.com
Fri Aug 10 20:00:52 UTC 2001

	Recently I've been seeing some odd traffic from my DNS servers.
We are running a split/split DNS system and my internal DNS server consider
themselves to be root and authoritative for my domain.  I've setup forwarders
to some external DNS servers I have with:

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        forwarders {
                A.B.C.D; // Sanatized for security reasons
                A.B.C.E;
        };
};

My cache file lookes like:

;       last update:    Jan 21, 1995

.       99999999        IN      NS      host.domain.com.

host.domain.com.    99999999        IN      A       A.B.C.F ; Sanatized

	Occasionaly I see my internal DNS servers sending queries directly
to nameservers rather than through the forwarders.  I've looked over my
configuration and everything looks kosher, I can't even begin to understand
how my internal servers are getting the information to even send the query.

	Can someone explain to me how what I'm seeing is possible and what
I might do to correct it?

					Thanks
					-Bob
--
* Robert L. Lamothe 	      | Manager, Unix Technical Services 	      *
* (978)256-1143		      | Mercury Computer, Chelmsford MA.	      *