about " bad refferal " system log

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 6 22:53:00 UTC 2001

jijunguk at dreamwiz.com wrote:

> Hello?
> I'm a just naive linux user. :-)
>
> Do you mind if I ask a question?
> Recently I have some problem about Bind.
> (At least, I think so. )
>
> My server is logging like below:
>
> Aug  5 04:55:50 ns named[489]: bad referral (in-addr.arpa !< 137.216.61.in-addr.
> arpa)
>
> I don't even imagine what this log affects to my server.

It just means some nimrod was too lazy to create a separate 137.216.61.in-addr.arpa zone in their
nameserver. They're just throwing everything into in-addr.arpa and claiming authority for that whole
namespace. Fortunately, you're running a version of BIND that doesn't get confused by such idiocy.

> I think my servers dns isn't robust, because I encounter dns error message in my broswer many times.

That isn't a lot to go on. Could you be more specific about what problems you're having? You've checked
your nameserver logs, right?

- Kevin