Root File

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Apr 27 15:47:17 UTC 2001

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 08:21:38AM -0500, Y2KNET wrote:
> We have allocated one of our downstream customers
> two IP blocks of  class C address,  199.195.30.0/23.
>
> We have set them up in our reverse files. Is it possible
> that instead of setting them up in the reverse files, we
> set them in the root file. If we can set them in the
> root file then, how the entries would be in the root file.

No, you can't.  I tried.  With BIND 8.*, at least, it ignores anything
in the root hints file that is not declaring a root name server or its
IP address.  I can't imagine that BIND 9 is less secure.

It is NOT a big deal to set up a couple more zone files, or delegate
the zones to your customer!

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B