Can Anyone Help?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 24 21:05:13 UTC 2001

As a matter of terminology, please don't refer to an "SOA file" or (as some
people do) an "SOA server". SOA is a DNS record type, not a file format or
server type. Files which are the original source of data for a zone are "master
zonefiles", and servers which are defined as master or slave for a zone are
known as "authoritative servers" for the zone.

Is the format of the file correct? Hard to tell, since the formatting came
through rather screwy in your message. You shouldn't have blank lines between
records, do you? The "IN NS" lines should begin with whitespace, do they?

For sure, you shouldn't be trying to use "#" as a comment character in a
DNS master zonefile. The comment character is ";".

Semantically, the contents of the file look reasonable.

- Kevin