Once an hour the secondary hangs.

Ted Watson t405405 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 23 16:12:36 UTC 2001

Hi,

I've an 8.2.3 secondary server on FreeBSD 3.2. This server
handles about 8 million queries a day. One month ago the
server began hanging for a few minutes at the top of
the hour. He would not handle any queries and I could see
BIND was not responding for about 3 minutes. I tried to
determine if this was a network or system performance issue by
pinging out to the net and running traceroutes. I could see
at a point the traceroutes would not supply names to local
routers but only IP numbers. I upgraded the BIND to 8.2.3
and the problem went away. Now one month later I am again
having strange hourly timeouts. Could this be some kind of
zone transfer failure? TIA, TW