Generic Zone File??

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Fri Apr 20 18:46:00 UTC 2001

Having multiple zones defined with one "generic" file IS possible.
Having zones defined in "named.conf" that looks like:

	zone "foo1.bar" { type master; file "db.generic"; };
	zone "foo2.bar" { type master; file "db.generic"; };
	zone "foo3.bar" { type master; file "db.generic"; };

and a "db.generic" zone file that looks like:

	$TTL 86400;
	@	IN	SOA	ns1.foo.bar. hostmaster.foo.bar. (
				1; serial
				28800; refresh
				14400; retry
				3600000; expire
				1440); ncache TTL
		IN	NS	ns1.foo.bar.
		IN	NS	ns2.foo.bar.
	www	IN	CNAME	www.foo.bar.

then any connection to "www.foo1.bar", "www.foo2.bar", "www.foo3.bar"
will all be sent to the "real" server at "www.foo.bar".

Note that this "www.foo.bar" web server will have to be configured to
act as a virtual server for each of these names - but this is a DNS
list NOT a web server management list.  Read your documentation.

To head off your next question - if you want the ability to connect
as "http://foo.bar", rather than "http://www.foo.bar", you will
definitely need to add an "A" record for this generic zone, such
as:

		IN	A	10.1.2.3 ; the IP address for www.foo.bar

You cannot use a CNAME for this purpose.

General question relating to this setup:

The RR for "www" could be an "A" record rather than a CNAME.  Is there
any major advantage to using one or the other for this purpose?  Using
a CNAME makes changing the server address easier, but will require two
DNS queries.  Anything else?

Bill Larson