Log file rotation too slow

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Apr 19 02:54:17 UTC 2001

At 01:33 AM 4/17/01, Stanley Liu wrote:

>BIND 8.2.3-REL-NT3
>
>Every time the log file is full, it "renames" the oldest log file from, say
>query.log.30 to query.log.31; then query.log.29 to query.log.30 and so on until
>it "renames" the current log file query.log to query.log.0 and starts a new log
>file.  During this period, Named does not response to query at all.  To add to
>that, it takes about 10 seconds to "rename" one log file.  So if I have 100 log
>files (maximum), it will take around 20 minutes to "rename" the whole lot which
>means that it will not response to query for 20 minutes.  Why it takes 10
>seconds to "rename" a file? or is it a file "copy"?  or is it a NT port problem?
>or is it just me?  How do you people handle logging and the versioning of it?

         BIND 8 is single threaded and this shuffling will indeed, by necessity,
  prevent it responding to queries and anything else until it's done with this. 10
  seconds does sound like a long time. Is your system heavily loaded, short of
  memory or perhaps is the disk badly fragmented?  This is not specific to NT
  as far as I know, just some things take longer on different O/S's.

         Danny