DDNS and DHCP

Adam Lang aalang at rutgersinsurance.com
Thu Apr 12 12:52:17 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Darcy" <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>
To: <bind-users at isc.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: DDNS and DHCP

> > Well if I have a network printer that is going to be used 95% of the
time by
> > a subnet and 5% of the time outside of it, I want that printer in that
> > subnet to control traffic.  I also need the printer to be static.  How
would
> > I have the printer in that subnet, but on a different DNS zone than the
> > dynamic clients in the subnet?
>
> If the printer is static, how does Dynamic DNS come into play at all? You
just
> define the printer and never change it. Whether you define it by editing
the
> zone file, or through "nsupdate" or some other Dynamic Update mechanism,
is
> kind of irrelevant if it's not changing.

Because the clients would be dynamic.  And that was what I was asking.
About having static ip's in a zone that is handled by dynamic updates.

> And what do you mean by "control[ling] traffic"? Do you have some
proprietary
> system in place which controls print-output traffic using DNS names?
Please
> elaborate; it's not clear at all what it is you're trying to do here.

If I have 100 employees in my company and 4 printers and the network is
divided into 4 subnets with a printer in each.  If 90% of printer traffic
comes from inside the subnet it resides in, it helps control traffic (as
opposed to sticking all the printers on the same subnet).

This is basically what I wanted to do:

When I configure a PC, I'll give it a name (no big deal since I have to
configure Client Access for AS/400 emulation and have to give it a "device
ID".  Figured I'd just use the same name for the hostname the client tells
DHCP it wants).

DHCP would hand out an IP address, take the requested hostname, and stick
them both in DNS.  This way it would be possible to track user traffic no
matter what their IP address is.  Well, all printers are network attached
and I would want them to have static IPs and not to change and I was
inquiring on how to do that since it says that you can't have static content
in a dynamic zone.

As for multiple zone's on the same subnet, I am not grasping how that would
be done.