DDNS and DHCP

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 11 21:44:16 UTC 2001

Adam Lang wrote:

> But that doesn't make sense (unless there is something about zones I don't
> understand).
>
> I can't have more than one zone per subnet, correct?

DNS doesn't know from "subnets", it only knows octet boundaries. If you have a
subnet larger than a /24, for instance (e.g. a /23 or /22) then you most
certainly can have multiple zones providing reverse-lookup for that subnet.
Take a look at the 129.9.26/23 subnet on the Internet, for example -- I have 2
reverse zones for that subnet.

> Well if I have a network printer that is going to be used 95% of the time by
> a subnet and 5% of the time outside of it, I want that printer in that
> subnet to control traffic.  I also need the printer to be static.  How would
> I have the printer in that subnet, but on a different DNS zone than the
> dynamic clients in the subnet?

If the printer is static, how does Dynamic DNS come into play at all? You just
define the printer and never change it. Whether you define it by editing the
zone file, or through "nsupdate" or some other Dynamic Update mechanism, is
kind of irrelevant if it's not changing.

And what do you mean by "control[ling] traffic"? Do you have some proprietary
system in place which controls print-output traffic using DNS names? Please
elaborate; it's not clear at all what it is you're trying to do here.

- Kevin