startup, boot vs manually

Benarson Behajaina Benarson.Behajaina at swh.sk
Wed Apr 11 18:36:36 UTC 2001

Jim Reid wrote:

>     Benarson> - When named is starded at boot time, my name server
>     Benarson> could not determine IP addresses of hosts which are not
>     Benarson> in my zone i.e. hosts not in /etc/domain/company.xy
>
>     Benarson> - When I restart the named (manually) with the following
>     Benarson> command: /etc/rc.d/named stop /etc/rc.d/named start
>     Benarson> everything works fine.
>
>     Benarson> So, what's is the difference between starting BIND at
>     Benarson> boot time and manually ?
>
> Maybe you have two different versions of named installed on the
> computer and perhaps they look at different config files? When you

Hello,

thanks for your answer, but I have only one BIND installed,
(/usr/sbin/named) and only one config file (/etc/named.conf
which is linked to /usr/etc/named.conf)
after looking for named:

# find / -name named -print

I've got :
/etc/rc.d/named (shell startup script)
/usr/sbin/named (ELF 32-bit LSB executable)

So, at boot time "/etc/rc.d/named start" is started

and then I started manually "/etc/rc.d/named start"
There I see no difference. Really, it's strange.

> start by hand, the search path is set up so the right version of named
> runs. At boot time, another one is used. Or the same one with a
> different config file as an argument.

Best regards,

Benarson Behajaina