startup, boot vs manually

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Apr 11 18:12:48 UTC 2001

    Benarson> - When named is starded at boot time, my name server
    Benarson> could not determine IP addresses of hosts which are not
    Benarson> in my zone i.e. hosts not in /etc/domain/company.xy

    Benarson> - When I restart the named (manually) with the following
    Benarson> command: /etc/rc.d/named stop /etc/rc.d/named start
    Benarson> everything works fine.

    Benarson> So, what's is the difference between starting BIND at
    Benarson> boot time and manually ?

Maybe you have two different versions of named installed on the
computer and perhaps they look at different config files? When you
start by hand, the search path is set up so the right version of named
runs. At boot time, another one is used. Or the same one with a
different config file as an argument.