URL Forwarding

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 5 20:21:00 UTC 2001

Fritsch Jonathan D CONT PSNS wrote:

>   What do I need to modify so that if a user tries to go to
> www.microsoft.com or the ipaddress of microsoft.com, DNS will automatically
> forward them to my internal web server.

For www.microsoft.com, you'd need to add an A record to the microsoft.com zone
(this could be a "private" microsoft.com zone you maintain on your own servers
for the consumption of your own clients).

For the IP address, you'd need to play some sort of routing/NAT games.
DNS doesn't enter into the picture here, since browsers don't need to lookup
IP address in DNS in order to connect to web servers.

If you're using a web proxy, of course, then it would probably be easiest to
do all of this within the web proxy configuration. Again, DNS wouldn't
necessarily enter into the picture in that case.

- Kevin