More backround: Interesting problem.

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Thu Apr 5 14:27:42 UTC 2001

Come on, people, let's give it a rest.  I'm sure we all know the
difference between DNS and WHOIS, and those who didn't before certainly do
by now.  The important point is that Nicole was given the DNS *and* WHOIS
information she needed to show NSI why DNS lookups for dossmarketing.com
were failing, and NSI finally admitted that a leftover old host record was
the culprit.  That's what matters.  Problem described, problem identified,
problem (almost) solved.

Now Nicole has to wait for NSI to actually do something about it.  As of
the time of this message the old host record still exists, and the GTLD
name servers are still returning incorrect information for
dossmarketing.com.  NSI's response to problems has been getting slower and
slower ever since the VeriSign takeover, so it may take a while.

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204 U.S.A.