no name host

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 18 22:54:14 UTC 2000

Alessandro Pelosi wrote:

> dear All
> I have to configure a host in my dns without a name:
> I have a domain who has configured many hosts just like
> www IN A <Ipaddress>
> mail   IN A <Ipaddress>
> I have to configure the zonefile in the way that it responds with an Ip
> address for domain.it and not only for www.domain.it, mail.domain.it etc..
> I tried to put this record in the zone file
>     IN A 212.110.7.87
> but it seems not to work

That should work, but *only* if you have whitespace at the beginning of the
line and the last line before it which didn't have whitespace was either
"@" or something which amounted to the name of the zone (taking $ORIGIN etc.
into account). Perhaps you could post your zonefile? It is rather common to
structure zonefiles in the following way:

@      IN  SOA   [etc.]
       IN  NS    [first nameserver]
       IN  NS    [second nameserver]
       IN  NS    [other nameservers, etc.]
       IN  A     xx.xx.xx.xx    ; the A record for the domain
       IN  MX    0    [mailserver for the domain]
       IN  MX    0    [another mailserver for the domain, etc.]
www    IN  A     yy.yy.yy.yy ; and so forth, for all of the names underneath
the domain

(Some folks like to put the A record after the MX record, it doesn't really
matter).

In this way, the first A record "inherits" the "@" from above, which means
that named properly interprets this record as being for the domain name.

- Kevin