no name host

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Sep 18 20:29:15 UTC 2000

I hate this kind of thing.  Others just consider it rude in a mailing
list like this one:
	To: Alessandro Pelosi <pelosi***nospam***@infinito.it>

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 10:32:29AM +0200, Alessandro Pelosi wrote:
> dear All
> I have to configure a host in my dns without a name:
> I have a domain who has configured many hosts just like
> www IN A <Ipaddress>
> mail   IN A <Ipaddress>
> I have to configure the zonefile in the way that it responds with an Ip
> address for domain.it and not only for www.domain.it, mail.domain.it etc..
> I tried to put this record in the zone file
>     IN A 212.110.7.87
> but it seems not to work
>
> How can I do?

This line will work, if it follows the SOA lines and NS lines with NO
lines having a non-blank initial argument in between.  In other words,
this will work:
$TTL ...
@	IN SOA	...
	IN NS	...
	IN NS	...
	IN A	212.110.7.87
but the following will NOT work:
$TTL ...
@	IN SOA	...
	IN NS	...
	IN NS	...
x	IN A	212.110.7.1
	IN A	212.110.7.87
In this example, this defines a second address for "x".

If you need it later, you will need to specify "@" or the actual domain
name as the initial argument:
$TTL ...
@	IN SOA	...