Dynamic DNS

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Sep 14 15:44:05 UTC 2000

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 06:44:55AM -0400, Bind Bind wrote:

> We are currently using DHCP coming off a Cisco Router, which will soon be
> changed over to a third party firewall box.   I am currently not handling
> reverse lookups, I have never dealt with reverse lookups in the past because
> all our REAL are subnetted (/26 /27 /28) and from what I knew about
> delegated subnets, the "delegator" has to control the reverse lookups
> (please tell me if I am wrong or don't make any sense).  Can  you explain
> what needs to be done to enable the reverse lookups on the "internal" IP's
> coming from DDNS, or at least throw me in the right direction of where I can
> find more info..   Your help  in this mailing list is extremely helpful,
> thank you.
>
> -Arthur D'Alessandro
> adalessandro at odione.com

The bit about the "delegator" having to have control has been incorrect
since March 1998 and RFC 2317, Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation, q.v.

I'm not sure how this would apply in DHCP, although I'm pretty sure
that it would be the DHCP server that had to make the changes.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B