DNS: Full domain names needed!

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 13 22:39:27 UTC 2000

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 04:42:13PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> >
> > To make "nslookup asterix" work, you'd need to configure your resolver
> > with a default domain, which would be the name of a domain containing an
> > "asterix" entry. E.g. you could put "domain idefix" or "domain
> > idefix.de" in /etc/resolv.conf.
> > > ####################
> > > # /etc/resolv.conf
> > > domain idefix.de de
> > > search idefix.de de
> > > nameserver 192.168.17.42
> > > ####################
>
> More specifically, "domain" does not take two arguments - make it
>         domain idefix.de
> I have heard it said that "search" is deprecated; but I find it
> sometimes useful, and so may you.

"search" is probably the biggest source of wasted nameserver resources behind
TTL=0 and, of course, moronic users. It's evil.

My opinion, of course...

> OBTW - "Asterix" is a cute little cartoon barbarian.  "Asterisk" is
> '*'.  ;-)

I think it was intentional, though. Remember that all of the characters had
"-ix" names -- Obelix, Getafix, Picanmix, etc. The name of the domain is
"idefix", so it all seems properly "theme"d...

- Kevin