simplest way to get a domain online

Steve steve at stevenet.olafsolutions.com
Wed Sep 13 00:13:14 UTC 2000

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Jun Yang wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What's the simplest way to get a domain online?  Suppose
> I want to set up x.com (1.2.3.4).  Can I do this?
>
> 1. In Network Solutions, set up primary name server to
>    be ns.x.com (1.2.3.4) and secondary to be ns2.x.com
>    (1.2.3.4).
> 2. Run named on 1.2.3.4 to serve www.x.com, mail.x.com, etc.

   If your name server is going to be a new nameserver then you need
Network Solutions to not only register your domain but also register your
new nameserver(which shouldn't be any extra cost).

Most likley they shouldn'y allow two nameservers with the same i.p.
The purpose of more then one nameserver is to be  a backup in case the
first server has to go down for repair or any other reason.

> Will this work?
>
> If the IP changes to 9.8.7.6, all I need to do is change
> host ns.x.com and ns2.x.com's IP to 9.8.7.6.  Right?
>
> Why does Network Solutions require the host name for
> name servers anyway?  Is the IP not sufficient?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jun

  If for some odd reason the i.p. of the namesever did change, then yes,
you would have to contact Network Solutions to change it i.p. of the name
servers. Registering  a nameserver of adding nameserver will take from a
few hours to a few days for the chnage to reach through DNS  system.

It also sounds like you are going to be using DHCP. I would pick a name
server that will host your domain that has a static i.p.
Then if you had dynamic i.p. for your host in that domain, you could use a
feature call DNSUPDATE, which updates the DNS records on the nameserver
when ever an i.p. changes, which also take a few hours.

I suggest you read some more HOWTO's on DNS.

Hope this helps,
Steve
steve at stevenet.olafsolutions.com