other experiments

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 13 21:13:57 UTC 2000

Quadri, Jay wrote:

> Sorry, I'll rephrase the question:
> If my NS server (NS0) was acting as a slave to several external zones, if I
> queried one of these external zones host, and I have NS0 set as my only
> resolver, will I resolve the external name directly (GOTO)  or will NS0 seek
> help from the hint file (climb up the tree so to speak) assuming it wasn't
> cached.

If you're a slave, you already know the name, so you don't need to contact any
other nameserver to resolve it.

As for the hints file, it's only consulted at startup time (if global
forwarding isn't in effect) to facilitate a query of the root servers. Once the
response to this "priming" query is received, that data overrides the hints
data, so effectively the hints data is gone at that point (it's still in
memory, but not used).

- Kevin