reverse-lookup-problems was (No forward lookup for one domain )

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Sep 11 05:34:14 UTC 2000

> > > <Mark.Andrews at nominum.com> wrote
> > > Gerald Waugh wrote
> > > 2-28.178.175.216.in-addr.arpa): No default TTL set using SOA minimum inst
> ead
> >
> > Add  "$TLL <value>" as the first line in
> > pri.32-28.178.175.216.in-addr.arpa.
> >
> I have looked all through DNS & BIND and I never seen an example
> of putting $TTL where you say! (you did mean TTL, I assumed TLL was a typo).
> But it worked I no longer see the message above about "No default TTL"

	You wouldn't.  No new edition has come out after RFC 2308, it is
	on hold awaiting BIND 9.  However it is documented.

> > Now make you self a secondary for 178.175.216.in-addr.arpa
> > so that local lookup works when the network connection is
> > down.
> > zone "178.175.216.in-addr.arpa" {
> > type slave;
> > file "sec.178.175.216.in-addr.arpa";
> > masters { 209.87.64.70; };
> > };
>
> > You ISP should already be setup to allow you to transfer
> > this zone.  If not send them email requesting transfer
> > permission along with the reason why you want transfer
> > permission.  If they don't grant it move to another ISP
> > that knows what they are doing.
> >

> Sorry, I don't think I understand the zone "178.175.216.in-addr.arpa"
> I think it makes my master nameserver a slave of 209.87.64.70 (one of my ISPs
> nameservers), correct?

	No. It make your server a slave server for 178.175.216.in-addr.arpa.

	There is no such thing a "master server".  There is such a thing
	as a "master server for ...".  There is also "slave server for ...".

> And would you mind please, to explain what this accomplishes, and what are th
> consequences of not doing it.

	Well to perform a reverse lookup of 216.175.178.42 you need
	to be able to contact the servers for 178.175.216.in-addr.arpa
	so that you can see the CNAME that points into
	32-128.178.175.216.in-addr.arpa.  If your link to the outside
	world is down you need to have a local copy of the zone to be
	able to translate IP addresses into hostnames.

	As to what will break if you don't have a local copy, that depends
	upon what you are running.  A lot of thing will just go slow as they
	wait for the DNS to timeout.

> My ISP has been very cooperative and I am sure they will take care of it. But
> ,
> before I ask, I need to know
> the specifics. I this covered in an RFC?, maybe

	I doubt that it is written in any RFC, however it is good practice.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com