reverse-lookup-problems was (No forward lookup for one domain )

Gerald Waugh gerald at waugh.com
Mon Sep 11 04:48:01 UTC 2000

> > <Mark.Andrews at nominum.com> wrote
> > Gerald Waugh wrote
> > 2-28.178.175.216.in-addr.arpa): No default TTL set using SOA minimum instead
>
> Add  "$TLL <value>" as the first line in
> pri.32-28.178.175.216.in-addr.arpa.

I have looked all through DNS & BIND and I never seen an example
of putting $TTL where you say! (you did mean TTL, I assumed TLL was a typo).
But it worked I no longer see the message above about "No default TTL"

> Now make you self a secondary for 178.175.216.in-addr.arpa
> so that local lookup works when the network connection is
> down.
> zone "178.175.216.in-addr.arpa" {
> type slave;
> file "sec.178.175.216.in-addr.arpa";
> masters { 209.87.64.70; };
> };

> You ISP should already be setup to allow you to transfer
> this zone.  If not send them email requesting transfer
> permission along with the reason why you want transfer
> permission.  If they don't grant it move to another ISP
> that knows what they are doing.

Sorry, I don't think I understand the zone "178.175.216.in-addr.arpa"
I think it makes my master nameserver a slave of 209.87.64.70 (one of my ISPs
nameservers), correct?
And would you mind please, to explain what this accomplishes, and what are the
consequences of not doing it.
My ISP has been very cooperative and I am sure they will take care of it. But,
before I ask, I need to know
the specifics. I this covered in an RFC?, maybe