Can't communicate with certain nameservers

js jason at med-web.com
Mon Sep 11 22:01:02 UTC 2000

Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Yes, most of those appear to be coming from some sort of load balancer,
> probably a Distributed Director, judging by the low (in some cases
> 0) TTL values, and the frequent absence of an Authority or Additional
> section to the response. I can't imagine why this would cause a query
> timeout, though. Was the sniffer on the same segment as the nameserver, or
> on the other side of the router? Were the responses coming back to the
> correct port # as well as address (you'd have to scour the debug output to
> see what port numbers those should be)?

The sniffer is on the same segment as the nameserver. The packets are
destined for the correct IP address, udp port 53 as I'd expect. I have
not attempted to do a byte-by-byte analysis of the contents of a
response. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible, so I'm trying to
find out what is special about the responses generated by the servers I
listed.

I could easily be overlooking something, but it seems like the responses
must be being discarded at a lower networking level, before they even
get to BIND. AFAICT, the main recvfrom() call in ns_main.c does not even
return when the response is received.