telnet App not recursive

Quadri, Jay Jay.Quadri at gmk.cwplc.com
Thu Sep 7 18:37:55 UTC 2000

 I do have a design (below) of which I am very proud off, the only problem
is that it does not work correctly.  It works perfectly if I remove the
forwarders.  Leaving just the Internet forwarder results in annika not been
able to resolve other intra.net sites within the cloud.  Forwarding is a
bitch, it affects other Internal lookups.   The root server (intra.net) acts
as a slave to all *.intra.net servers and vice visa,I can see that all slave
zone files does get transferred on all DNS servers.  Any insights?

[root at Annika /root]# more /etc/named.conf
options {
        directory "/var/named";
//       query-source address * port 53;
notify          YES ;
 forwarders      {
  195.44.11.45 ;
  148.185.41.13 ;
//195.44.11.45 is the internet dns
//142.186.43.18 is another intranet dns server (zone=isops.co.uk)

 } ;
 forward         first ;
 maintain-ixfr-base yes ;
};

zone "annika.intra.net" {
 type            master ;
 file            "annika.intra.net.db" ;
 notify          YES ;
  allow-update    {
  none ;
 } ;
 maintain-ixfr-base yes ;

} ;
 zone "intra.net" {
 type            slave ;
 file            "intra.net.db" ;
 masters         {
  10.50.1.5;
 } ;
} ;

zone "118.135.142.in-addr.arpa" {
 type            master ;
 file            "118.135.142.in-addr.arpa.db" ;
 notify          YES ;
 allow-update    {
  none ;
 } ;
 maintain-ixfr-base yes ;

} ;
// a caching only nameserver config
//
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "127.0.0.rev.db";
};
[root at Annika named]# more 118.135.142.in-addr.arpa.db
@       IN      SOA     annika.intra.net.    hostmaster.intra.net. (
                5       ; serial
                10800   ; refresh
                3600    ; retry
                604800  ; expire
                86400 ) ; minimum

                IN      NS      annika.intra.net.

221                                       IN PTR   annika.intra.net.
[root at Annika named]# more 127.0.0.rev.db
@       IN      SOA     annika.intra.net.     hostmaster.intra.net. (
                4       ; serial
                10800   ; refresh
                3600    ; retry
                604800  ; expire
                86400 ) ; minimum

        IN      NS      annika.intra.net.

1       IN      PTR     annika.intra.net.

[root at Annika named]# more named.ca
.                       999999  IN      NS      intra.net.
intra.net.            999999  IN      A       10.50bind-users at isc.org

more annika.intra.net.db
@       IN      SOA     annika.intra.net.    hostmaster.annika.intra.net. (
                9       ; serial
                10800   ; refresh
                3600    ; retry
                604800  ; expire
                86400 ) ; minimum

        IN      NS      annika.intra.net.

annika.intra.net.     IN      A       142.135.118.221
hosts		IN	A	142.135.118.222

laptop                            IN CNAME    annika.intra.net.

www                             IN      CNAME   annika.intra.net.

-- Type: application/octet-stream
-- File: dns-send.htm

-- Type: image/gif
-- File: dns-send.gif