dots in cnames

beetle bailey mrking01 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 6 16:43:35 UTC 2000

I'm glad this works, but I'm still a little confused.  Why would a resolver
not look for information on the domain 'hostname.sub.dom.ain' if given an
address www.hostname.sub.dom.ain?  I thought dots had a special function,
kind of like a field separator, that would separate the different
hierarchical levels in a name thereby making them bad choices for use in a
hostname.