dots in cnames

Tilman Schmidt Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de
Wed Sep 6 11:03:17 UTC 2000

At 23:46 05.09.00 +0000, beetle bailey wrote:

>Say we have a server: hostname.sub.dom.ain and someone wanted to use
>www.hostname.sub.dom.ain (someone created a presentation making use of  that
>address).  Is there any reason I shouldn't create a CNAME for www.hostname
>in the zone file for sub.dom.ain pointing to hostname?

None at all.

>  It seems like that
>should be a very bad thing to do,

Why do you think so?

> but I tried it and it works.

Of course it does. No problem.

>  Then again
>delegating a new subdomain for hostname.sub.dom.ain and adding an entry for
>www sounds like trouble as there's already a A record in sub.dom.ain for
>hostname.sub.dom.ain.

That wouldn't be a problem either. You'll just have to move the
existing entry for sub.dom.ain into the zone file for sub.dom.ain,
either with @ or the FQDN as the left hand side. The parent domain
should only contain the delegating NS records. (And glue records,
if necessary, but in your case they probably wouldn't be.)

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman at schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)