nslookup error

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Sep 28 16:42:34 UTC 2000

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 01:40:14PM +0530, suresh wrote:
> We are an ISP In India and running a primary and secondary name server for
> domain sol.net.in which is taking care of name resolution for our Dial Up
> Customers
> and we have another primary and secondary name server for domain
> southernonline.net which we are using for the name resolution of our
> webhosting customers
>
> So we are using a total of four dedicated servers for name resolution now we
> are in need of two servers and atleast for sometime we will not be in a
> position to invest on new servers
>
> My Question is can I have only two servers i.e., ns1.sol.net.in and
> ns2.sol.net.in and still have the nameservers ns1.southernonline.net and
> ns2.southernonline.net respectively on the same servers with out any
> disturbance to our customers
> both Dial Up and Web hosting Customers if yes How?

You can have any number of zones on one server [within reason].  There
are those who have thousands of zones and more on one server.  Just add
more "zone" statements to your /etc/named.conf.

It is pretty wasteful to have only one zone per physical server, unless
there are other reasons [the interior server in a firewalled LAN, e.g.].

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B