bind-9 and static

Dave Wreski dave at nic.com
Wed Sep 20 23:37:42 UTC 2000

> 	What benefit is there in running it as static?

An attempt to limit the exposure and number of available avenues for
further damage.

> 	There was a marginal setup benefit with BIND8 and running chroot
> 	but BIND 9 no longer has a named-xfer hence no benefit.

I'm not sure I understand. So the named binary is itself doing the zone
transfer, but I'm not sure how that's really different than it was
before...

> 	CFLAGS="..." ./configure

This didn't work. It seems to arbitrarily ignore the -static but keeps the
-O2 but ignores the -static on all binaries.

Thanks again,
Dave