BIND 8.2.2 P5 DNS and W2K AD & Domain controllers

Nguyen, Son . SNguyen at seta.com
Tue Oct 31 23:54:46 UTC 2000

Hi All

We are currently running BIND 8.2.2. P5 DNS on Sun Solaris for our single
domain, with approx. 20,000 machines, consisting of about 15,000 Windows NT
servers, workstations, domain controllers,and workstations.

We are planning to upgrade most of our Windows NT to W2K by next year. We
are testing to find the best implementation way to serve our W2K domain
controllers without utilizing the W2K DNS and still can implement the W2K
Group Policy and AD effectively. These W2K domain controllers will be
located throught out the country, from East to West coasts at many of the
organization's facilities.

My question is because of the distance, should we use different zones for
the East and West coasts for the 4 necessary zones for our W2K domain
controllers to provide and update their SRV RRs for communications with
their W2K clients?

Our sample named.conf with fictious name and ip address is as shown below:
============
zone "_msdcs.testagain.testy.com" in {
	type master;
	file "db._msdcs";
	check-names ignore;
	allow-update {xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;};
};

zone "_tcp.testagain.testy.com" in {
	type master;
	file "db._tcp";
	check-names ignore;
	allow-update { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;};
};
zone "_udp.testagain.testy.com" in {
	type master;
	file "db._udp";
	check-names ignore;
	allow-update { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;};
};
zone "_sites.testagain.testy.com" in {
	type master;
	file "db._sites";
	check-names ignore;
	allow-update { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;};

Should we have 2 zones, one for each coast, for each of the above listed
zones for W2K, or one for each zone would be sufficient since each of W2K
domain controllers will have only a few SRV RRs.

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

Regards,
Son Nguyen