Adding Subdomain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 31 23:48:46 UTC 2000

Don Robertson wrote:

> We run a server with 92,000 domains. They are all in a single file.

Um, okay. But I suspect Farnaz is looking to add 1,000 *zones*. I could be
wrong. But if my suspicion is correct, then this would be a very different
configuration than yours.

> We are using BIND 8.2. If I remember correctly

If you really mean BIND 8.2, as opposed to, say, BIND 8.2.2-p5, then you have
a version with a root exploit and should upgrade *immediately*. See
http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security-19991108.html for details.
Farnaz, you should be upgrading too; BIND 8.1.2 has some Denial of Service
vulnerabilities in it.

As for "Do you think the server might be in trouble?": maybe, maybe not.
DNS capacity planning involves many factors. Did you mean just "subdomains",
or actually "subzones"? Will these zones be large? Will they change
frequently? How many slaves do you have and how much of a change-propagation
delay can you tolerate? Do you plan to (re-)implement your maintenance
processes to use Dynamic Update (thus not requiring the whole zone to be
reloaded just because one record changed)? IXFR (Incremental Zone Transfer,
so that you don't need to replicate the whole zone to the slaves)? What are
your standard refresh and default TTL values? Do you plan to provide only
non-recursive (domain hosting) service, or is this machine also expected to
resolve names in other domains (e.g. Internet names) for local clients? What
is your expected query volume? What hardware/OS platform does this run on?
What is your network bandwidth/throughput?

- Kevin