Newbie Question...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 30 23:41:44 UTC 2000

An ANY query just means "show me all of the records you know about for
this particular name, regardless of record type (A, MX, etc.)". It won't
show you anything that's unrelated to the name which you queried.
"mail.abc-def.com" is a different name from, and apparently unrelated to
"abc-def.com", so that's why it didn't show up on that ANY query. I can
elaborate on what "related" means in this context, if you wish.

If you want to see all records that are *underneath* a given name, i.e.
treating the name as that of a zone containing other records, then you
need to be able to perform a "zone transfer" of the zone in question.
This can be achieved by using the "ls -d" command in nslookup, or, with a
better tool like "dig", just simply use a query type of "AXFR".

Note that, unlike ANY queries, zone transfers only work from
"authoritative" servers for a zone -- those that are configured as master
or slave for it -- and may not work if you are restricting them on the
server side with "allow-transfer".

- Kevin